This is a very interesting project run by the reading charity Booktrust which (from the report's executive summary):
...supported Year 5 teachers in four primary schools to run whole-of-year-5 writing projects inspired by classic or popular children's books, enabling pupils to respond creatively to high quality children's fiction and nonfiction texts.
The aims of The Write Book included:
- Raising pupils' attainment in writing
- Increasing pupils' enjoyment of writing
- Creating a whole school writing plan and creating a personalised legacy for writing in the school
- Making cross-curricular links for writing
- Linking reading and writing
These are very familiar aims! It's what we set out to do with Make Our Book. The report continues by sharing learnings, some of which were:
What a great validation of the Make Our Book approach, and good to note that basing writing on a good book is a winner.
Read the full report here.